ESAM is one of the six national pilot schools of the European project EduCO2cean, co-funded by ERASMU+ programme, which involves several European countries and that is coordinated, on a national level, by the Portuguese Association of Environmental Education (ASPEA), which has a delegation in Viseu. The first goal is to raise awareness for the protection of the oceans.
Several activities were developed through this second year, divided by two pilot projects: ESAM 100 – CEM dias, SEM plástico (which involved about one hundred students) and H2Octógono Azul (which involved thirty students). The results of these projects will be presented by the students, on a public ceremony, on the 6th of June of the present year, organized in a partnership with the Environment Department of ESTGC of the Polytechnic Institute of Viseu (IPV) – following the commemorations of Environment World Day.
Some activities made:
- Work session with ASPEA’s president, Joaquim Ramos Pintos and UA’s research Daniela Figueiredo
- Opening ceremony of the exhibition “Sea Pollution – Heritage of mankind?” – 01.02.2018
- Presentation of the project, which involved one hundred students from the high school – 19.02.2018
- Lectures from teachers of IPV: Elisabete Silva, Isabel Brás and Luísa Valente, on the topics of “Bioplastic” and “Circular economy” – March and April 2018
- Monitor campaign – Paiva River (Viseu)- Azenha bridge (downstream from the city), Barcas bridge (city), Raposo bridge (upstream from the city) – Pedro Baila Antunes (coordinator), students and teachers from Alves Martins High School and students from IPV’s master on Environmental Engineering,
- Work sessions on the Environment Department of ESTGV-IPV directed to the students of Alves Martins High School.
Teachers from IPV: Pedro Baila Antunes (general coord.) Elisabete Silva (microbiological analyses coord.), Isabel Brás (physical-chemical analyses coord.), Pedro Silva (Preparing field material and analyses)
In the first session it was present the Director of the Environment Department, Luis Teixeira de Lemos